Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Jens Bjørneboe in English" found

Yesterday a friend told me about the Wayback Machine, which has been archiving the web since 1996 or so to preserve sites that disappear. If you google Wayback Machine, you will find a link to a place where you can enter the URL of the site you're looking for. And voila! There were numerous versions of "Jens Bjørneboe in English", archived at different stages along the way. The latest link is:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080211204403rn_1/home.att.net/~emurer/

My other disappeared websites, including my poetry site, seem not to have been archived, but that's OK. This was the crucial one, an internationally known resource on an important Norwegian writer.

Thank you, Tony, for pointing me to this invaluable resource!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I want to say thank you for an amaing translation of my favourite norwegian author. I'm from Norway, living in England. And I have introduced Bjørneboe to my friends. But I have only managed to find The History of Bestiality translated. I know you have translated Sharks as well. Anyone else? There are so many, and they are all important and lifechanging. Hope you can help me.

Kind regards, Birgitte Roeggen
Takk xx

Esther Greenleaf Murer said...

The Sharks is out of print, but in the UK you should be able to find a used copy-- I hope more cheaply than here, where used copies are pricey. Joe Martin's translation of Semmelweis and Fred Wasser's of The Bird-Lovers are also out of print. Solrun Hoaas's translation of Amputation , is still in print. Subtitled: "Texts for an Extraordinary Specatcle," It includes two versions of the play, letters and drawings of the characters by Bjorneboe, and critical essays by Oddbjorn Johannesen and me. Hope you can find it over there; it's available on amazon.com here.

Good luck
Esther

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for that, though it makes me really sad knowing there are not more translations of his books. As I've already said, I see him as one of the greatest Norwegian writers, and I would love to get his work "out there". I am considering translating some of his books by myself, just to give to my friend, who has become a massive fan after reading "The History of Bestiality". Also for my own interest, and then see if my work is good enough, and maybe in the future, if possible, send it out to publishers. Obviously after considering copyright etc. I was wondering what you think about that...

Birgitte

Susan J. said...

I find quite a few books by and about (mostly by) Bjorneboe on www.half.com at reasonable prices. Just search on "jens bjorneboe"...

Anonymous said...

Another "Greanleaf"?

http://chronicle.com/blogs/postcards/in-whittiers-library-a-politician-keeps-company-with-a-poet/880?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Renovering af lejlighed said...

Vigtigste i en online-forretning på en niche, er at udvikle dine resultater hurtigt, og optrædener på samme niche sites.